If you have a current driver’s license or state photo ID that was separated from you at the time of your arrest, check with the arresting law enforcement agency to see if it was booked into evidence there. 

Community Action Services has a program to help people obtain a copies of their birth certificate, Social Security card, and state photo ID, including covering the fees.

Once you get official copies of your birth certificate and Social Security card, try to keep them in a safe place rather than carrying them with you. If you don’t have a safe place to keep them, check with the Food & Care Coalition about holding them for you.

For information about obtaining a Utah state photo ID, including the current fee and required documents, click here. If you do not have a physical address, check with the Food & Care Coalition about the possibility of using the address there.

In 2010, the Utah State Legislature passed a law requiring people to show documentation of their legal status in the U.S. to get a drivers license or state photo ID. For most people this means showing their birth certificate and Social Security card along with two pieces of official mail with the address you want to put on your ID. It quickly became evident that this new requirement caused problems for people without any ID, so in 2013, the Legislature passed another law creating a temporary ID program to give people time to gather their other documentation. If you have already gone through the process of providing these documents, the DMV licensing division should have them on record.

For information about obtaining an official copy of your Utah birth certificate, click here or go to the Utah County Health Department (151 S. University Ave., Provo)If you were born in another state, you should be able to get a copy of your birth certificate through that state’s health department.

An increasing number of employers are requiring that people provide an original Social Security card (not a photocopy) before hiring them. For an application and information about getting a replacement Social Security card, click here

The Social Security office in Provo is located at 88 West 100 North (in the J. Will Robinson federal office building), and is open 9:00 am to 4:00 pm except Wednesday 9:00 am to noon. Phone: 1-866-366-9549.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s