- Visit the Financial Learning Center at Community Action Services in Provo to learn how to improve your financial situation. Click here then scroll down for information.
- For online money management tools and expertise, check the Utah State Extension website here.
- Contact the AAA Fair Credit Foundation at 1-800-351-4195 for debt and credit counseling.
More employers, landlords, etc. are doing credit checks so it’s important to maintain a good credit history (or clean it up if there are problems). Anyone requesting a check of your credit history is required to notify you in advance.
- The Fair Credit Reporting Act guarantees you access to your credit report FOR FREE every 12 months from the three nationwide credit reporting companies: Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion.
- Federally authorized source to get all three company reports in one place: annualcreditreport.com (1-877-322-8228)
- Utah Office of Recovery Services (ORS) (801-536-8500)
SOCIAL SECURITY AND SSI BENEFITS
Social Security and SSI payments are suspended if a person is incarcerated for one month or more. For information about resuming benefits, click here.
IRS – FEDERAL TAXES
- For a brochure entitled “Get Right With Your Taxes,” click here.
- Click here for information about IRS services in Utah. The Provo office has been closed, but if you can’t travel to Salt Lake City or Ogden, you can access many services virtually.
- If you need help preparing a tax return and can’t afford to pay anyone, check into the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program by calling 211 (services available only during tax season).
- If you are behind on filing your taxes, contact or visit your an IRS office for help and also check out the IRS website, especially this article: “Tips for Taxpayers Who Missed the Tax Deadline.“
- If you owe back taxes to the IRS and can’t afford to pay them all at once, click here for information about setting up a payment plan.
- You may be able to settle your tax debt for less than what you owe through what’s called an “offer of compromise.” Click here for more information.
UTAH STATE TAX COMMISION – STATE INCOME TAXES
- For information about filing Utah State income taxes, click here.